National Safety Day (NSD) Campaign spearheaded by the National Safety Council for commemorating its foundation day – 4th March, is entering its 40th year. The Campaign celebrated over a week, has grown into a major national Occupational, Safety & Health (OSH) Campaign and is widely celebrated by industry, trade unions, Govt. departments, regulatory agencies, NGOs and institutions with the active support of the Central & State Governments and the media. The Campaign is aimed at renewing the commitment of employees and general public to work safely throughout the year. The ultimate objective of the Campaign is to ensure integration of OSH in work culture and life style.
The idea of commemorating the Foundation Day of the Council, 4th March; and the first National Safety Day (NSD) Campaign was launched in 1972 and has since been organised every year. The Campaign now entering its 40th year, has grown into a major national campaign widely celebrated by industry, trade unions, govt. departments, regulatory agencies, NGOs and institutions with the active support of the Central and State Governments and media. It has made impact on the industrial scenario at the national level by contributing to increased safety awareness and reduction in accidents. Started as NSD, the Campaign has now been spread over a week.
THEME FOR NATIONAL SAFETY DAY – 2011
• Ensure that safety and health are integrated in work culture and life style.
• Renew the commitment of the employees towards safety and health at workplace.
• Achieve greater participation of the employees in OSH activities.
• Achieve the greatest participation of the employees.
• Tap Iocal talents in your factory for the celebration.
• Stress on the OHS needs of your unit.
• Identify and highlight I ocal SHE issues.
• Distribute SHE promotional material amongst the employees. ACTIVITIES :
In order to make the celebration a success, the preparations are required to be started quite in advance. Some of the suggested activities during the NSD/W are :
• Administration of Safety & Health Pledge by the employees lead by the topmost executive. The model text of the Safety & Health Pledge designed, developed and distributed by the NSC is printed on the back side.
• UnfurNng of the NSD Fag.
• Pinning of the NSD Badge on employees.
• Displaying Safety Day Banners at strategic locations in the units.
• Safety message by Managing Director or Chief Executive Officer to all employees.
• Safety competitions – Essay, Slogans, Posters, Housekeeping, Safety performance etc.
• Safety suggestion schemes.
• Safety exhibitions.
• One-act pay/drama, songs, quawalis etc.
• Training ProgrammessWorkshopssSeminars etc.
• Screening of Safety films in unit/employee colonies.
• Practical demonstrations on use of PPEs, Fire Fighting, rescue etc.
• Organising emergency drills.
• Displaying of Safety Posters at prominent locations in the unit.
• Holding award functions Safety suggestions, performance etc.
• Lecture sessions by eminent guest speakers in the field.
• Community Awareness Programmes.
• Printing safety sogans on company stationary, say, pay packets.
• Holding meetings to analyse past accidents and suggested actions.
• Safety slogan on dial tone of telephone and intercom.
• Safety Procession within the unit.
• Art competitions by families of employees such as Rangoli Competition.
? Outside Factory Premises :
• Pinning Safety Badges on VIPs.
• Advertisement of Safety on local T.V. channel and local newspapers.
• Writing articles on importance of safety in local newspapers.
• Display of banners at strategic locations in the city/town.
• Contractor Safety Programmes
• Consumer/Customer product safety awareness programmes.
SAFETY AND HEALTH PLEDGE
/On this Day, I solemnly affirm that I will rededicate myself to the cause of safety, health and protection of environment and will do my best to observe rules, regulations and procedures and develop attitudes and habits conducive for achieving these objectives.
I fully realise that accidents and diseases are a drain on the national economy and may lead to disablements deaths, harm to health and damage to property, social suffering and general degradation of environment.
I will do everything possible for the prevention of accidents and occupational diseases and protection of environment in the interest of self, family, community, organisation and the nation at large . "
National Safety Day / Week 2011 Downloas Theme for NSD 2011 visit here
NATIONAL SAFETY COUNCIL
98-A, Sector 15,
Institutional Area, C.B.D. Belapur
Navi Mumbai – 400 414
Tele : 91 -22-2757 99 24 / 25/ 26 / 27
Fax : 91-22-27577351
E-mail : email@example.com
Web Site : www.nsc.org.inTags: national safety day 2011 themeCategories: HowTo